Click "continue" to watch this video hosted on YouTube.
Lyumjev is a fast-acting insulin used to treat adults with diabetes for the control of high blood sugar
Lyumjev: A fast-acting mealtime insulin
Lyumjev is a mealtime insulin with the same active ingredient as Humalog® (insulin lispro injection, 100 units/mL) but designed to help insulin be absorbed into your blood quickly.*
Is designed to reduce blood sugar spikes that happen naturally after a meal. In clinical studies, Lyumjev reduced blood sugar spikes better than Humalog 1 and 2 hours after meals.
Is a fast-acting insulin that helps control high blood sugar levels after you eat, similar to how natural insulin works after meals in people without diabetes.
Do not take Lyumjev if you have :
- symptoms of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- an allergy to insulin lispro-aabc or any of the ingredients in Lyumjev.
Mealtime and long-acting insulins help keep your blood sugar in control
When you have diabetes, your body is not able to effectively make or use insulin it needs to control blood sugar levels.
Long-acting insulin, also known as basal insulin, works throughout the day and night to help bring down your blood sugar levels in between your meals.
Fast-acting insulins are also known as mealtime insulins. They enter the bloodstream and work in your body quickly in order to help control blood sugar levels. Fast-acting insulins work quickly and are taken with meals.
Mealtime insulin helps control blood sugar after you eat and works with long-acting insulin to help keep your blood sugars at recommended levels throughout the day.Learn more
Designed to reduce your after‑meal sugar spikes
Lyumjev is a fast-acting mealtime insulin that works to control blood sugar spikes after you eat, similar to how natural insulin works after meals in people without diabetes.
Select Safety Information
Do not reuse needles or share your insulin injection supplies with other people. This includes your:
- prefilled pen for use by a single patient
You or the other person can get a serious infection. This can happen even if you change the needle.
Already on a mealtime insulin?
Lyumjev is a formulation of insulin lispro designed to be absorbed quickly
Lyumjev contains additional ingredients compared with Humalog (insulin lispro).
Lyumjev starts lowering blood sugar faster than Humalog.1,2
- In a type 1 study: 20 minutes (Lyumjev) vs 31 minutes (Humalog)1
- In a type 2 study: 32 minutes (Lyumjev) vs 45 minutes (Humalog)2
Lyumjev and Humalog contain the same active ingredient, but Lyumjev has additional ingredients that make it absorb into your body quickly. In clinical studies, Lyumjev reduced blood sugar spikes better than Humalog 1 and 2 hours after meals.
Because Lyumjev works fast, you should take it at the start of your meal or within 20 minutes after you start eating a meal.
Select Safety Information
Do not change the type of insulin you take or your dose, unless your doctor tells you to. This could cause low or high blood sugar, which could be serious. Do not inject your insulin into the exact same spot or where the skin has pit or lumps. Avoid injecting into thickened, tender, bruised, scaly, hard, scarred, or damaged skin.
If you’ve taken Humalog, you may notice a few similarities:
Lyumjev comes in a KwikPen® or vial, and can be used with an insulin pump.
Lyumjev U-200 cannot be given by an insulin pump. Check your insulin pump's user manual to see if it can be used with Lyumjev. Follow the instructions in your pump's user guide when taking Lyumjev.
- Linnebjerg H, Zhang Q, LaBell E, et al. Pharmacokinetics and glucodynamics of ultra rapid lispro (URLi) versus Humalog® (lispro) in younger adults and elderly patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus: a randomised controlled trial. 2020;59(12):1589-1599. Clin Pharmacokinet. doi:10.1007/s40262-020-00903-0.
- Leohr J, Dellva MA, Coutant DE, et al. Pharmacokinetics and glucodynamics of ultra rapid lispro (URLi) versus Humalog® (lispro) in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a phase I randomised, crossover study. 2020;59(12):1601-1610. Clin Pharmacokinet. doi:10.1007/s40262-020-00901-2.